Different kinds of consultants
Consulting is much like other industries, with a few big companies and a long tail of competitors.
The Big 4
The Big Four are the world’s largest consulting firms, accounting for nearly 40% of the industry's $150 billion global market. PwC, Deloitte, EY and KPMG are followed by US strategy giants McKinsey & Company and The Boston Consulting Group..
When it comes to strategy, McK, BCG, Bain dominate the market.
Below the big guys are many smaller mid-size consultancies who specialize in one industry or vertical. During our interviews 20200617 consulting interviews notes we heard about:
- IQVIA is often hired, they have good data - https://www.iqvia.com/
- ZS is another data consultancy often hired in pharma: https://www.zs.com/
- They hire Quantum Black (a McKinsey company) for algorithmic data analysis: https://www.quantumblack.com/
- Kinetic Consulting are senior ex-P&G: https://www.kineticconsulting.com/approach/
The small fry
There are endless independent consultants and smaller consulting firms. They are generally geographically or vertically (sales, marketing) focused. Some examples
- PIPELINE STRATEGY + MARKETING EXECUTION - https://www.heinzmarketing.com/
- “The world expert on subscription pricing and membership models” - https://robbiekellmanbaxter.com/
- Keynote speaker and best-selling author Nir Eyal writes, consults, and teaches about the intersection of psychology, technology, and business - https://www.nirandfar.com/
- BtoB specialist, WHY Consulting supports you from the definition of your development strategy to its execution https://www.why-consulting.com/
And hundreds more.