Consumer / Retail / Ecommerce
This is an overview of the business model specific ways to look at consumer/retail/ecommerce analysis, including online, physical stores, and omni analysis. For the big list of questions which are relevant to any business see 108.20.40.05 Data Analysis - Questions to ask for every analysis
Consumer / Retail
- Are new stores getting better or worse than old stores?
- How does store quality differ between core and non-core markets?
- How many members are stores expected to add?
- Are new stores taking longer to ramp up and acquire members than old stores?
- Do new stores have the same member potential (saturation) as old stores with similar characteristics?
- Are members at new stores churning more quickly than members at old stores?
Customer purchasing behavior
- How does customer purchasing behavior vary by channel?
- How does purchasing behavior vary by online, mobile, call center?
- How many people buy from only one channel?
- Of people who buy from multiple channels how does their spend split between channels and how has that changed over time?
- What non-subscription categories have subscription-like behavior? E.g. multiple purchases over time
Product mix / Demand driven inventory
- How does the sku level product mix change by category over time?
- Identify what customers purchase based on segmentation and location
- Hold inventory at appropriate locations
- Predict product profitability and effect of substitutions
- Category management: statistically test new product categories
- Cross-sell, upsell, and bundle based on customer segmentation
- Monthly and quarterly forecasts used for budgeting and refinancing
- Demand projection: customer growth and product shipments for seasonality and marketing spend
- Finance: refine annual budget and revenue forecast
- How reasonable are management revenue projections for new and existing customers?
- Free to premium conversion
- What customers are subscribing to what length of plan?
- Are customers switching from monthly to longer plans or vice versa?
The special case of ecommerce with attachable subscriptions